Saturday, December 11, 2021

KeralaDay3

Kerala Day 3

Periyar Tiger Reserve

We started from Munnar. We came down a moutain range and climed up another. I did not note down the geo locations while coming down and hence those are missing. While we did not see tigers and elephants we did see the following. Great cormorant, Woolly-necked stork, Sambar deer, Bengal monitor, White-throated kingfisher, Brahminy Kite and Gaur.
Please see the photos my facebook.

The path taken



The above interactive visualization was made using Python and Folium. I wanted to make a visualization with Folium for last 2 years!
The folium library in turn uses the leaflet library to render the web-page visualisation. Using Folium I do not have to worry about the HTML, CSS, Javascript code! Plus Python allows me to hold my data in pandas and manupulation of the data becomes convenient. Customizing markers and icons becomes easy using both the pandas and folium libraries.

Folium was not part of the standard Anaconda distribution. It had to be downloaded by using the following command.
$ conda install folium -c conda-forge
at the Anaconda promo. But before that I created a separate environment for folium (folium_project) by closing the base environment. The command was
$ conda create --name folium_project --clone base

Folium allows one to leverage the power of leaflet by just writing a few lines of code. The web-page visualization including its code is on my github account.

No comments: